Home > Desert Tours >
Our three day desert experience private tour, which includes a night under the stars at either a luxury or traditional bedouin tented encampment, is available to guests staying at any hotel in the resorts of Hammamet, Yasmine Hammamet, Port El Kantaoui, Sousse, Skanes/Monastir and Mahdia.
This desert safari normally departs on Wednesdays throughout the year and is priced according to the accommodation selected for Day Two of the itinerary below.
We depart early in the morning from your resort hotel for our first stop in the Holy City of Kairouan - a UNESCO World Cultural site. Walk around the Great Mosque, the Mosque of the Three Doors in the Medina and Kairouan's souks.
Travel south to the maritime oasis town of Gabes for lunch and visit the spice market there. Your journey continues via Medenine (the area is dotted with ksars, the local name for the Berber fortresses, and ghorfas, which once housed the grains of the Berbers) to Tataouine. Dinner and overnight at a 3 star hotel in Tataouine.
After breakfast we arrive on market day in the authentic Tunisian town of Tataouine. Then travel to Ksar Ouled Soltane. Located on a hilltop, it is one of the biggest ksars (a fortified granary) in the region, and a popular tourist destination because of its well-preserved granary vaults. Some of the slave-quarters scenes in the Star Wars film "The Phantom Menace" were shot here.
Continue your journey through Berber country to the mountain village of Chenini. The oldest structures on the hillside date back to the 12th century. Some of the buildings are still used to store grain for the villagers living in the valley below. Lunch is taken in Chenini and then we travel on to a deserted Berber village at Douiret featuring a distinctive white cemetry. We make our way deeper into the desert to Ksar Ghilane for your night under the stars. Choose where you would like your dinner and overnight accomodation at time of booking:
After breakfast we travel to Matmata for a visit to a Troglodyte Cave Dwelling and the Hotel Sidi Driss (which featured as Luke Skywalkers home in the film Star Wars). Stop in Mahares for lunch.
Your journey continues north via Sfax (Tunisia's second largest city) to the Roman Coliseum at El Djem. After visiting the Roman Amphitheatre we take you back to your resort hotel.
What the price includes:
- Transportation by air-conditioned 4x4 vehicle
- English-speaking guide
- Entrance fees
- 2 night's accommodation at a tented encampment of your choice and a 3 star hotel on half board basis.
Accommodation in Traditional tents on Day Two (01-Nov-12 to 31-Oct-13):
- £329 per person based on 2 people booking (sharing one room) *
- £249 per person based on 3 people booking (sharing one room)
- £219 per person based on 4 people booking (sharing two rooms).
Single occupancy accommodation supplement = £19 per person.
Accommodation in Luxury tents on Day Two (01-Nov-12 to 31-Oct-13):
- £485 per person based on 2 people booking (sharing one room) *
- £389 per person based on 3 people booking (sharing one room)
- £355 per person based on 4 people booking (sharing two rooms).
Single occupancy accommodation supplement = £99 per person.
- Optional camel ride at Yadis Camp Ksar Ghilane.
* This tour is based on a minimum of two persons and a maximum of four persons booking per vehicle.